Vacancy for Turkish Legal Expert
The Local Development Organization is seeking someone to join their prestigious team and fill the position of ‘Turkish Legal Expert’.
The Local Development Organization, also known as LDO is a not-for-profit, non-political civil society organization focused on supporting local administration, communities and reviving the economy. LDO organization is registered in Turkey and has its head office in Gaziantep- Turkey, with active offices inside Syria- including Idleb. The Local Development Organization’s Advisory Board Members, specialized in various fields including public administration, local economy, strategic planning, institutional and community development. LDO works with and for Local Authorities in Syria in order to achieve good governance with the aim of creating consistency, integrity and Excellence as well as a trusted system. This good governance is the main element setting the balance between strategic and operational conduct in an organized and deliberate approach.
About the Position
About the Position
The LDO is based in Gaziantep and has extensive expertise in providing legal protection to Syrian refugees and is currently carrying out a project to assist Syrian refugees to have access to Turkish legal aid. It is for this reason that it is currently seeking a Turkish legal expert who can assist them with their specific knowledge of the Turkish legal system. The Turkish Legal Expert will report to the Turkey Country Director and will be responsible for a variety of tasks, including but not limited to:
- Reaching out and being present during meetings with Turkish senior officials – acting as the focal point between organization and senior officials.
- Assisting with the development of a multi-lingual Legal Defender Manual to aid Turkish legal defenders in their representation of Syrian refugees and other vulnerable individuals.
- Assisting with the coordination of a Legal Needs Assessment (LNA) through engaging with Turkish justice sector officials in Gaziantep, Kilis and Şanliurfa.
- Assisting in the implementation of a range of programme activities for Turkish lawyers such as legal trainings.
- Attending & co-facilitating training workshops for Turkish lawyers and JusticeMakers.
- Assisting with the promotion and engagement of Turkish lawyers in the JusticeMaker Fellowship.
- Participating in meetings with the Turkish government and prison officials.
- Responsible for collecting and reviewing scorecards from Turkish defenders.
- Translating documents between English and Turkish.
- Implementing Rights Awareness Campaigns within Syrian communities on their rights under Turkish and international human rights law.
- Assisting in the development of The Advocacy Agenda.
- Conducting outreach to bar associations and CSOs.
- Assisting during key informant interviews with Turkish legal defenders.
- Assisting during Roundtables with justice sectors and civil society stakeholders to build consensus for due process and access to justice reform for Syrian refugees.
- Assisting during multi-day trainings for legal defenders and CSO leaders.
- Perform any other tasks as required by the Country Director
In order to be considered the applicant must:
- Be a Turkish lawyer with over 5 years’ experience
- Be a Member of a Turkish bar association
- Speak Turkish and English fluently
- Arabic is considered an asset
- Have proven experience in working with NGOs and INGOs
- Have training experience (have coordinated and provided trainings)
- Be able to work in sometimes challenging circumstances
In order to apply please send your cover letter and CV in English to firstname.lastname@example.org before 26 July 2021.